Tuesday, August 5, 2008

MMMM Enchiladas


Phillip and I had a debate over Beef enchiladas. I swore they were made with chili, ala canned chili. He swore it was not. So, i puttered around the internet and sure enough, it isn't chili ala tin, its called "Chili Gravy". So, last night I channeled my inner Lisa Garza, and using this recipe prepared Beef and bean enchiladas starting with a chili gravy. I even made a ROUX, we are talking cutting edge for this former burner of boiled eggs.

As i put it in the oven, i thought "there is no way the kids will eat this" - so I didn't take any photographic evidence.

Well guess what, My chili gravy was a bit on the thick side, but it was WONDERFUL. I got not 1 - but THREE (3!) thumbs up. Both kids had SECONDS. I cannot tell you what a rare event this is. RARE! REALLY RARE!

It would also be excellent over cheese/onion enchiladas. I am sure to make it again, and then i WILL take a picture.

3 comments:

Kari said...

Yum! Sounds great. Every so often I get a major craving for those cheese enchiladas with chili (or chili gravy, as I now know). I've never made them, though, so now I'll probably have to try!

LogoGirl said...

well, i went with corn over flour tortillas, and the only "mistake" I made was being too afraid to add extra water to the chili gravy in case of messing it up and making it runny. Phillip thought it needed onions, but i'm not a huge onion fan.

I read that El fenix uses boiled brisket for the center, and now i'm thinking of trying a crock pot full of roast beef as filling. Or maybe pork - I've gotten better at making pork roasts, and they can be terrific.... hmmmmmm.

Kari said...

Oh yeah, I bet either shredded beef or pork would be great in the filling.

Man, I am starving! Why do I always read about food when I'm hungry??